Thursday, March 17, 2011

March 2011 Trip to Denver

*

(left click on pictures to view them full size)




The rest stop in Parachute, Colorado. I believe that those gigantic (and oh so natural looking) flowers are solar-power cells. Pretty cool!





Lunch at the "Charcoal Burger Drive In."






This place is truly a classic little 50's-style diner. It has won the Glenwood Springs "People's Choice" award yearly since 2006. Customers can get malts, crinkle-cut fries, and buffalo or elk burgers. I had elk with mushrooms, swiss cheese and bacon.






There are several relics in the nooks and crannies.





Pieces that are simply reminders of a bygone era.
Look closely, gas was 36.5 cents per gallon.





I remember when gas pumps like these were much more common.





This place had a cool view, but it was pretty chilly. The elk burger was great. The fries weren't quite right. I like my fries right out of the fryer, hot & crispy. These were a bit dry. The burger was a novelty, but not so good that I absolutely have to go back.





Don't know exactly where we were, but I know where we were not...




***