Friday, December 22, 2006

Who Am I? Why am I here? Waking Up from Amnesia.

In 1991, at the age of 20, I was living on a horse ranch paying my rent by brushing horses, and riding them across the desert sands into the sunset on a regular basis. I was playing harmonica and singing in a bluegrass band with 6 other folks, and loving every moment of that experience. I was regularly giving talks about insects to the local Boy Scouts and the FFA members in Yuma and the surrounding area. I went to big bon-fires in the desert, played harmonica and shot giant waterballoons with 2-man slingshots over the yucca plants and the saguaro cacti by the light of the moon underneath the amazing star packed night sky. I was DJ'ing the country music show and the jazz hour on the local college NPR station, and always had the latest music available to me at any time. I was riding my bike 30 miles or more per day to college classes and my job at Safeway in town. I was in the best shape of my life, and it felt wonderful to look and feel that good. My sister and I were singing together a cappella for large crowds of people, and we harmonize wonderfully together. Another sister and I regularly went to a large local park to play paddleball at distances of up to 15 yards or more from each other, having fun running, jumping around and getting tons of exercise, while drawing the attention of passers by on the exercise trail.

Why am I here now? I guess I had a lot to learn.