Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Project Starter




Today I did a few things that will help me out in the days to come...

I went to the library and checked out several books full of myths and legends to read onto a tape for my nephews.
I also checked out some music that I've never heard before - and we'll see how much of it I like.
Right now I'm listening to Fred Hersch's album "Songs Without Words"

I went to the 8th Street Amphitheater on the Savannah River and watched the rowers gliding across the water in front of those amazingly tacky houses that have spoiled what used to be the beautiful banks on the South Carolina side of the river. I went there to read a wonderful letter from my amazing, brilliant girlfriend "The Lizard" (that will be her esteemed title from here on out), about her first couple of days working as the naturalist on a cruise ship in Alaska. There was just a hint of a breeze and the air was warm. It was the perfect time to be out.

I bought a weight set to use for the next 3 months while I'm here. It's on order and will arrive in 3 days. I figure that is a worthwhile investment in my never-ending quest to either get into or stay in shape. When I get back to Monterey I'm planning to get into roadbiking so I'm going to need to be in good shape to do that. The Lizard and I are hoping to work on a research vessel up in Alaska for a week or two in September - and it wouldn't hurt to be sure that I can handle whatever satisfying, exhilarating hard labor might come with that job.

Kroger supplied me with vegetables for the coming few days - but I must say that I was a bit disappointed with their selection. I guess I'll continue shopping at the Food Lion near my old house, even though that store is quite a bit further from where I'm living now than Kroger.

I read some more of the book Rational Spirituality, which was written by Andy Reese, who a member of the Unitarian Universalist Church here in Augusta. This excellent book explains concepts of physics, chemistry and the origins of the universe in a simple, no-nonsense way that leaves me visualizing everything from the birth of the universe to the formation of molecules in my mind.

My DVDs for the traffic school class DID NOT ARRIVE! ARGGHH! I'm sure hoping that they get here tomorrow as I have to have the certificate in to the courthouse in Marina by the end of the month.

Looks like a lot of overnight FedEx charges are in store for me.

I heard from a good friend out in Nevada today and heard that he knows of Strongbad - who is, without a doubt, his cartoon alter-ego.
In case you don't know who Strongbad is... you should check out this site:


Check out this particular episode - which is one of my absolute favorites:


I'm going to Virginia this Friday to visit my sister, her husband, and my little nephew. I'm really looking forward to the chance to catch up and to enjoy each other's company. On Saturday, I'm going to watch the latest Star Wars episode with my dad. That will be great fun too.

I heard on the radio today that there is a woman who is suing the producers of the Matrix for stealing her idea from a comic book submission that she had submitted to them in 1986. I wonder... Apparently the hero in her submission was called "The One" and also dressed all in black. So I guess that begs the question: "Is Neo the One?"

Oh yeah - here is an interesting article that a friend sent today:

With that, I will bid you all farewell until the next time.

The Skunk

Current Mood: optimistic
Current Music: Draglines, Reel World String Band, Album: Coal Mining Women