Monday, November 11, 2013

"Thank You For Your Service"

*

There are many differing points of view out there regarding why you should or should not say "thank you" to veterans on Veteran's Day, or how to react to those words of thanks if you are a veteran. My perspective is this: I admit that I am uncomfortable sometimes when people say thank you to me for something that was often (in my individual situation) more of a joy than a sacrifice. But, I always imagine, when someone looks me in the eye and reaches out to shake my hand, that I'm accepting that sincere thanks on behalf of those who served that gave their lives. They definitely deserve that thanks, and I feel that they should have a representative to accept that gratitude without reservation.Who better than living veterans to accept that honor on their behalf? That said, I'd like to say "thank you" to all who have served, to those who are serving now, and to their families, whose sacrifices are often, truly, beyond measure.




***