Sunday, August 01, 2010

Black Canyon Campground - North Rim

Fishtank Ensemble and the Boulder Acoustic Society were performing last night at the Paradise Theatre in Paonia, CO. last night.  The show was absolutely AMAZING.   High energy, dancing, so much creativity and happy people.  If you ever get a chance to watch either of these bands... I give them both my highest recommendation.  Best $15 I've ever spent for a musical event.

I didn't get any pictures of the music scene that are worth sharing.  We did, however, decide to camp overnight at the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park, and it was impossible not to get some worthwhile pictures there.  The vistas are simply stunning.  We stayed at the North Rim campgrounds.  It rained while we were at the the concert, and things inside the tent got a little damp, but the morning views made the whole decision to camp out here worth any discomfort that we felt during the night.  Now I'll just have to remember to go to R.E.I. tomorrow and buy some waterproofing spray.


Initial view from Chasm View Trail on the north rim.



The first hint that what's coming is really going to be spectacular.




I think that this is my favorite shot.



It's  a long ways down...



This is also in the running for my favorite picture.




The final pic from the trail.  
My phone ran out of memory here.
There is a tent at the upper right edge of the water.
You can't make it out in this picture,
But it was a solid blue colored tent.
Very tiny from this vantage point.