Friday, February 02, 2007

Dr. Donald M. Tuttle Obituary

I learned yesterday morning that my life-long mentor, teacher, and friend passed away on January 28th. He was the first person in my life, outside of the people in my immediate family, that ever gave me the idea that there might be a "right path" to be on, and even more importantly, that there might be an achievable way to get onto it.

I guess when it rains it pours sometimes, this has been on hell of a month.

Dr. Donald M. Tuttle has had a profound impact on my life. I am who I am today mostly due to his influence. I owe him so much, but he never asked for anything at all. I want to tell his story, and I hope to later this week.

I will share his obituary for now. I intend to write later about the role that he played in my childhood, and what his life and friendship has meant to me over the years. I will try to write some about that this week.

Here is the obituary for a man who completely changed the course of my personal history (from the Yuma Sun Daily Newspaper):


Donald Monroe ‘Doc’ Tuttle
Donald Monroe “Doc” Tuttle, 89, passed away at home on Sunday, January 28, 2007. He was born in Bay City, Michigan, February 1, 1917.

In March of 1940 he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Entomology with a minor in Plant Taxonomy from Michigan State College.

He served in the U.S. Army from 1941 to 1945.

After being discharged he returned to Michigan State College and graduated with the Master of Science in Entomology degree in 1947. Donald Tuttle married Dorothy Sheets from Bay City, Michigan in June of 1947. In 1952 he graduated from the University of Illinois and was awarded a Ph.D. degree.

The 1952 growers and farmers in the Yuma area of Arizona were interested in obtaining a Research Entomologist to work on their insect and mite problems. His primary work at the Yuma Agricultural Experimental Station was conducting research on arthropod pests in the valley.

Many of his discoveries are housed at the Smithsonian Institution as well as the U.S.D.A. in Maryland. He has written more than 180 scientific publications, including 2 books.

Dr. Tuttle officially retired from the university in 1983, and was awarded the title of “Professor Emeritus”. In March of 1996 Dr. Tuttle was given the Lifetime Award by the University of Arizona, College of Agriculture.

Surviving are his wife, Dorothy Tuttle; his son, Ronald Tuttle; his son, Tim Tuttle, his son, Andy Tuttle and wife Sherry; and grandchildren. Adriane Brinkley and Jace Tuttle.

All are invited to attend a graveside service at Desert Lawn Memorial Park on Thursday, February 1, 2007 at 10 a.m.