Tuesday, May 31, 2005

What I'm Welcoming Into My Life

The Unitarian Universalist Church of the Monterey Penninsula, of which I am a member, has a ceremony each year in which the participants write down the things that we want to let go of in our lives on one piece of paper, and the things which we wish to welcome into our lives on another. The piece of paper on which we have written the things we wish to let go of is placed in a container where a fire is burning; and each paper burns alongside the things that everyone else in the congregation wishes to let go of in the coming year. The paper with things we welcome written on it goes home with us, so that we can glance at it from time to time and remember what it is that we are inviting into our lives.

Today I want to share what I chose to welcome into my life in 2005 during that ceremony. For those of you who know me, I'd ask you to help me to remember, during those times when it seems that I'm forgetting, what I have written. If you see me losing sight of my chosen path, please guide me gently, (if I'll allow you to), in the direction that I have proclaimed to myself, and now to others, that I want to go.

Welcome 2005
As this year begins, I make room and welcome into my life...

a smile on my face

art, music, dancing, playing, and relaxation

spiritual awakening and meditation

healthy living

deep, meaningful, lasting love

peace and acceptance within my soul

new relationships that teach me, help me grow and make life fun

old relationships that prune me and sustain me

thrifty spending that makes the impossible possible

learning that makes me a better human being

all aspects of real committment,
whether scary, challenging, difficult, joyful, rewarding, or inspiring.